I don’t eat pasta alot, however I had a craving like nobodies business to make Chicken & Broccoli Pasta Alfredo. The problem is, I can’t handle creamy sauces due to my lactose intolerance. BUT I HAD TO HAVE IT. So I made Dairy Free Chicken & Broccoli Pasta Alfredo for myself and my family. Get this, they even liked it! (Even the 11 year old who hates mostly anything these days just to not agree with one of us)
This recipe is not difficult to make and can be altered with the proteins and vegetables you like, if chicken and broccoli are not your thing. You can also swap out the chicken stock for vegetable stock
- Alfredo Sauce:
- 3 TBSP Olive Oil
- 3 TBSP Flour
- 4 TBSP Chicken Stock
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups of Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Chicken Breasts, grilled or pan seared, sliced in bite size
- 1 crown of broccoli, steamed & cut into bit size pieces (Bag of frozen broccoli works well too)
- 16 Ounce box of pasta, cooked, drained and ready to go ( i used rotini noodles)
I “steam” my broccoli by draining my pasta water on it. This creates less clean up at the end of the day.
- Make your chicken breast, grilled or on the stove. Season to your liking, I did a simple seasoning of pepper and salt. Slice and set aside.
- Boil your pasta, don’t forget to salt your water!
- Chop your broccoli (cue in Dana Carvey’s Choppin’ broccoli skit). You can steam it in the microwave, in a pot or use my simple handy trick and drain your pasta water on top of the broccoli into a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes and drain the broccoli.
- On a medium heat in a medium to large sauce pan, warm up your olive oil. Mix in your flour with a whisk.
- Add in your salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder to the oil/flour mixture (Roux).
- Keep whisking and pour in your unsweetened almond milk. Continue mixing until it starts to bubble and it will start to thicken.
- Mix pasta, broccoli and chicken into a large serving bowl. Pour alfredo mixture on top and stir in.