I love Mexican food. I have been trying to re-create my favorite Mexican restaurants bean and rice burritos, I gave up. Nothing tastes like the real thing. So I have a healthier version and it starts with these refried black beans. I was incredibly intimidated to make refried beans, period. However, learning a basic recipe and tweaking it our taste buds, has been so simple!
- 16 Ounces of dry black beans
- 6 cups of Water
- 1/4 cup dried onion
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup Montery Jack Cheese, grated
- Cilantro/Pico De Gallo to garnish
- Cooking Spray
- 5-6 Quart Crockpot/Slow Cooker
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Large fork or potato masher
- Hand held mixer
- Rinse beans in cool water, remove debris if needed
- Spray Crockpot with cooking spray if desired.
- Place beans in Crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients
- Set it and forget it; I recommend 5 hours on high.
- Turn Crockpot on low/warm
- Start mashing beans with masher or large fork
- Using hand held mixer, mix beans for about 6 minutes on slow-medium power.
- Stir together; Keep warm in Crockpot or serve immediately topped with cheese.
These make a great meal or a wonderful side to any Mexican dish. I love to eat beans with Mexican rice, wrapped in a tortilla! They are delicious, simple to make and so good for you!