My husband loves chocolate cake covered in a rich frosting. Once in awhile I will get the idea to bake something, even though I’m not much of a baker. I also love to experiment with different flavors, my husband is normally pretty game for this! Especially peanut butter and chocolate!
I kept this incredibly simple! I used boxed cake mix and packaged frosting for the outer layer, but created a really easy peanut butter frosting for the middle. This would be a great last minute dessert for any party/event you are attending, it’s so simple!
- Chocolate cake, baked as directed for 2 – 8″ round cakes
- 1 container of chocolate frosting
- 8 Ounce jar of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Cake Pans
- Piping bag & tips
- Measuring Spoons
- Cooling Rack
- Bake chocolate cakes as directed on box mix. Of course you can make these from scratch, but that wouldn’t make it as simple!
- While cakes are cooling, use an electric mixer to whip peanut butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. Whip together for 2-3 minutes on medium. I used a piping bag to put the peanut butter whip on the cake, you don’t have too though.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, it’s time to construct
- Put a bit of frosting on your cake plate or cake stand to hold the bottom layer. Place bottom layer down. (You can even out the top of the cake, but cutting it. This is easiest done when it is on a cake stand and you have the ability to turn it. But it’s not always necessary.)
- Next is the peanut butter whipped frosting you created! I used a piping bag to layer it one, but you can use a spatula of course. Spread an even layer across the top of the first layer, once it is on your serving platter.
- Place second cake on top. Again, you can cut the top to make it flat and even or leave it as is.
- Place the frosting in the microwave for around 20 seconds, stir well. You dont want it as liquid, just a looser frosting. Dump the frosting on your layered cake and spread around to cover the cake completely.
- You can add dollops of the peanut butter frosting on top for decoration. I used a piping back for this, if you don’t have a piping bag you can use spoonfuls or even a plastic zip bag (sandwich bag). Fill up the bag, seal without air, cut corner of the bag that doesn’t have the zipper or closure &. viola! Your own piping bag!!
- Grab a fork, you are done and ready to enjoy!
Tip- Replace the oil in your cake recipe with equal parts unsweetened applesauce