Fall is here, I’ve been decorating my house slowly and cooking up a storm. It’s still pretty warm here in Southern Arizona, but I want my favorite cold weather comfort food! I love a delicious pot pie, but sometimes I just don’t have the energy to make a pie crust. So I tweaked my usual dairy free pot pie recipe and created this Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie. It is simple, delicious and perfect for a quick meal! If you aren’t dealing with a dairy allergy, you can most certainly use biscuits from the refrigerated aisle at your supermarket to make this even more simple!
This recipe serves 4.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 2 Chicken Breast
- 8 Ounces Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1 TBS Garlic, chopped
- 1 TBS Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 2 TBS Flour
- 10 Ounce bag of Frozen veggie blend
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk (unsweetened)
- Pepper, Salt to taste
Ingredients for Dairy Free Biscuits:
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 TB Sugar
- 3 TB Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup Almond milk (unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 450° to bake your biscuits.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar salt and then cut in the coconut oil ( I use virgin coconut oil, since it resembles shortening). Once combined and resembling crumbs, stir in the unsweetened almondmilk.
- I dropped these onto a baking sheet and baked them for 12 minutes or until golden on top.
- While the biscuits are baking start your chicken. I diced the two chicken breast in bite sizes and pan seared them with onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Once the chicken is cooked thoroughly (no pink!) about 7 minutes, remove from pan.
- Start your roux in the same pan, melt the butter and add the flour in the pan whisking until a paste forms. Add in your almond milk and keep whisking until a nice creamy sauce has formed. Add veggies, chicken stock and the cooked chicken into the same pan and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in a large bowl and top with your homemade biscuit! Enjoy immediately!